Thursday, June 20, 2013

Beautiful Day in Vietnam

Ya'll, I was close to being in tears last night over the wonderful Mr. Rogers. It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood whenever he was around. Ya feel me, 80's babies?! Someone posted a buzzfeed.com post on "21 heartwarming & beautiful facts about Mr. Rogers facts"

Somebody call the Pope and grant this man sainthood. Develop some practical theology curriculum based on his show. Something. His words were simply true. He wasn't rudely intrusive but he challenged mindless prejudice. He wasn't irresponsibly provocative but  he is legendary nonetheless.

He is kind of a big deal and I am a big fan if you haven't figured that out by now.

I want to buy a box set of his DVD's and show my children...
That's right. It's a sweater-jacket sleeve. Can we just stop for a moment and take it all in?...


I didn't cry when I got engaged or even at my wedding...Few things move me to tears but when I see just plain-and-simple good people being good...I can't help myself.

So after pulling myself together over and over again as I read through reasons 1-9 I get to number 10, barely halfway through, and I could no longer contain myself. Overwhelmed and misty-eyed with emotion I go into our kitchen to share the fullness of my nostalgic experience with James. I showed him this video...


Without missing a beat James says, 
"Did you know that Mr. Rogers was a Marine sharpshooter and he had over 150 kills during the Vietnam War?! He was a stone cold killer."
I just stared at him in refute...
"No he wasn't/didn't! And don't ruin my moment. I choose to believe in the "wonderful neighboor" Mr. Rogers not the assassin."

James began to research for instant evidence by way of Google on his I-phone. I love James and James loves history...war history...he knows it well. James is also a really, really good person, nothing contrived about it. So a bruised up, gun-slinging, trigger-happy, Mr. Fred "Go Ahead, Make My Day" Rogers is the perfect hero for James. 

And low and behold his facts are mere urban legend. I stared at him again now both relieved and slightly disturbed.  

With Mr. Roger's good name restored and all right in the world after a brief three minute unrest James turned to me..

showed me this picture...
and says, "Stone. Cold."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatcha Thinking?