Monday, June 24, 2013

"Mo" names than I can count

My mom says, that she named me Monique because it sounded "sophisticated"

Monique. Danye. Criddell..."it rings with professionalism", she says. 

When I told my parents that I wanted to be a neurosurgeon my name took on its own impetus. My initials were MDC, for crying out loud, MD Criddell...Medical Doctor Criddell=way to go, mom! Nailed it!

With this name I was destined to be a medical maven. It was kismet.

My mom held me in her arms and branded me with sophistication and purpose. She just knew that family, teachers, friends and strangers would learn of my name and utter it with the sincerest of respect and awe.

That dream faded to black shortly after I started private school at two. Much to my mother's dismay I was given a nickname. "Mo". Mom tried to stop it but it was too late. I don't think folks called me "Mo" because it was easier, either. This is just who I am to the world...not some stuffy uber professional physician but that down to earth, round the way girl that you feel like you have known for decades...(I'm postulating here but it sounds good to me)

I have acquired many a moniker in my short life. Here are a few of my favorite handles...

Moneca (pronounced Mo-knee-kah)
Mom is the only one who calls me this. She says it when she is being loving. It just sounds the same way a warm blanket feels. I just wanna wrap myself up in it. I also think she may be attempting to redeem "Mo" by adding an exotic suffix. Mom is pretty persistent. 

Scooter
This alias is the brainchild of the one and only Mike Criddell...my daddy, ya'll. He said that when I was little I scooted around a lot...always on the move. Hence the most logical nickname ever.

KeKe
Alright, I have a love/hate relationship with this name. I love the people who gave it to me. I hate the reason. I was ALWAYS the only black student in my class from the age of 2 to 18...there may have been one more but we were usually scattered. (Only blacks in the joint, stand up!). The sweet reasoning of my high school classmates went something like this: you are black and KeKe is a "ghetto" name so we will call you KeKe...That only stuck for one semester.

Moqui (pronounced Mo-Key)
My best friend and I used to work in the nursery at church together every Sunday when we were in high school. She gave me one of her wallet pics and signed it "I love you, Moqui." My best friend...spelled my name all kinds of wrong. We read it and laughed. it stuck. A week later everyone else and their mama (literally) was calling me Moqui. This ticked her off because it was her special name birthed from a typo and not theirs...15 years later and she stills hates it when others call me that.

Moie (pronounced Mo-E)
 My crew in college predominantly consisted of Indians from India. Most of their names ended in some "E"sound. Tigi, Romy, Letty and Angie (still counts). The natural thing to do was assimilate at least by name. To this day, Tigi and Angie still call me Moie. 

MoMo
This is my favorite. My nephews call me this...just "MoMo". And for some strange and yet perfect reason all children that I meet find their way to this nickname sans suggestion. It amazes me every time. I feel like I am knighted with a Nerf rubber sword into some secret toddler society where there are "No Adults Allowed" signs tacked up everywhere.
"I shall dub thee, MoMo."

It has taken a lifetime to acquire these names and more. New friendships mean new names because nicknames usually mean, "I love you". And when I met James I came full circle... and heard my name as if for the first time. 

Eight hours into our second date I noticed that he kept calling me Monique. I redirected him towards Mo-ville letting him know that my friends call me Mo and he was welcome to do the same. 

He said...
"No offense but Mo sounds like a guy's name to me. Monique is the name of a beautiful, intelligent woman and that is what I think you are...but if you prefer for me to call you Mo, I will."
(= way to go, James! Nailed it!)

Starry-eyed and swooning, I said...
"You can call me whatever you want."

It's been Monique ever since. He cut right to my mother's heart for me....He cut right to my heart and I love to hear him say my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatcha Thinking?