Monday, May 13, 2013

Pillow Talk ~ Song Edition

I went home for Mother's Day which means I got to go to church. I was spiritually reared at The Church Without Walls in Houston, TX. Think black-Baptist-mega-church and you are probably on the right track. Amazingly gifted and charismatic preacher, hats, suits and high heels and of course a killer choir. These folks can SAAANG. When I go home I am immersed in gospel worship. It is food to my soul. It's like cake and cold milk, hot salty french fries dipped in BBQ sauce and ranch or the crispy burnt cheesy edge of mac & cheese casserole...its just too good. I go home and I get my "black church" experience and I don't hold back.

One old but not antiquated black church tradition is the antiphonal form of worship fondly known as Dr. Watts. It was created by this guy...

Ironic right? 
He was  born in England in 1674 and is a legend in black churches  everywhere.
God must have a sense of humor.

Anyways...singing "Dr. Watts" sounds like this... 


Last night our pillow-talk topic was my day of worship back home. I told James my dreams of joining a community gospel choir just so I can indulge my appetite weekly. I listed off the songs we sang in church with pure delight. I paused and looked over at him watching me talk. He turned his head, smiled slyly, opened his mouth and sang...


And he sang every.last.word. His melismas were effortless. His inflections were precise. I thought I was back home. He never ceases to amaze me..my white husband from Moody,TX.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatcha Thinking?